Saturday, February 9, 2013

Homemade Flour Tortillas





When I had my first son, I went crazy and wanted to make everything from scratch. I was worried about what he would eat, so every time I would go food shopping, I would read the ingredient list and would always find something I wasn't happy about. It's funny how you change after you have a little one... 
At first, it was easy making homemade baby food. Actually, my first son didn't like much of the jar food, so I had to make everything at home. Baby food is pretty easy to make. I would just cook some organic vegetable and then blend on my little handy dandy mini food processor. I have a small one which is great for baby food and other small tasks. 


Now, I have two kids and a very picky husband. Ask what he wants for dinner and his answer will be: pizza, cheeseburger, tacos, or sushi. So, coming to please both kids plus a picky hubby is not an easy task. Add trying to eat healthy, then I have a really big challenge here. Quesadillas is something they would eat, but I am not really happy with the ingredient list on the flour tortillas or wrap we find at the store. Also, I am not really happy with the taste of them. So, I decided to see if I could make them at home. After hours of research, and checking thousands - or at least this is how I felt - of blogs I found a lot of easy recipes, but the only problem I had was: Vegetable Shortening! I was never fond of Crisco. I know some people swear by it, saying there is no way of achieving the right texture or taste without it, but I was persistent and found a recipe called "Healthy Homemade Tortillas" that called for canola oil. Voila! I found what I was looking for and to the kitchen I headed. The recipe couldn't be easier and I had everything at home already. The original recipe is made all by hand, but since I was a little lazy, I used my stand mixer. Also, I switched one cup of the flour with whole wheat to make it a little bit healthier. They came out really good, even hubby loved it!



Homemade Flour Tortillas
(adapted from this recipe)

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup extra light olive oil 
1 cup hot water

Mix flours, salt and baking soda on slow with your paddle attachment. Add oil and mix on slow until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. 



Add hot water and mix until a ball is formed. Change with hook attachment and knead the dough for a couple of minutes until it is nice and smooth. Wrap the dough and let it rest for at least 30 minutes. I left in the refrigerator overnight.

Here is my dough all rested and ready.


Dough after rested in the refrigerator overnight.

Divide the dough in 12 equal pieces:






Roll each piece into a ball:



Roll out one at the time as thin as you can. I did so on my silpat and didn't have to use any extra flour:


Using a silpat to roll out the dough made it easy and I didn't have to use extra flour.





Cook on a hot and ungreased skillet. 





Flip the tortilla once brown blisters form.




After it is done, I put on a plate and covered with a kitchen towel to keep them warm and pliable as I had in mind to make some chicken wraps.

Ok... I need to practice more so I can roll out better circles... But I guess that is the beauty of homemade, all irregular tortillas...


They were delicious as is!

Notes: If you over cook them you will have crunchy tortillas. Not bad, I actually overcooked some of them because they were like crackers and I love crunchy, but not good if you want to roll the tortillas to make a burrito or a wrap... 

These were super easy and fast to make. It rolled out super easily and cook super fast. The best part is that I can put it together the night before, when the kids are in bed already and make the next day. I will be using this recipe for sure and never go back to a store bought! 

I hope you'll try making these... I promise you won't regret! Have questions or request? Use the comment box below and share your thoughts with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips