Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Chicken Quesadillas




Since I made my homemade flour tortillas I decided to make some chicken quesadillas. I had some mushrooms, baby spinach and avocado that I had to use so I thought I could incorporate them to my quesadillas. See, my oldest son does not like any green food, or better say that he thinks he doesn't like them. If he can see it, he will pick it out and leave on the side of his plate, but if he can't see them, he will just eat and say "this is really yummy!". With this quesadillas, it worked somewhat. He grabbed some of them and left them out. So, next time I'll chop the spinach.


I have to say that they came out pretty good. The avocado and the sour cream made them moist and added a nice velvety texture and the crispy tortilla was just perfect. It was really filling too and both kids and the picky hubby enjoyed them.



Chicken Quesadillas


extra light olive oil
1/2 tablespoon butter
6oz mushrooms thinly sliced
2 garlic minced
3 cups baby spinach
1 hass avocado
12 oz chicken breast
dash of Frank sauce 
1 lemon
shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
sour cream (optional)
salt to taste
6 homemade tortillas

First let marinate the chicken.



Use 1 minced garlic, squeeze 1/2 of the lemon, a dash of Frank's sauce - to taste - a teaspoon of olive oil and salt to taste. Mix everything and add the chicken breast. I used 2 and halved them, this is why you see 4 slices here.
While the breast marinates, lets work on the mushrooms.



Clean and slice the mushrooms - I used baby bella here, but you could use any.

Melt the butter and add about a teaspoon of olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes or until all the water has evaporated, then add one garlic minced and let it cook for another minute until fragrant. Add salt to taste.
Place the mushrooms in a bowl and use the same pot to cook the spinach.



Add another teaspoon of olive oil and add the baby spinach and let it wilt. This takes about a minute. Turn off the heat and add a little salt to taste.

Place the spinach into a bowl and use the same pot to cook the chicken.

Add another teaspoon of olive oil and add the chicken. Let it brown on both sides and set aside.




Mash the avocado and add the other 1/2 of the lemon and salt to taste. If you would like you can add a little dash of Frank's sauce, but I left that out since my little guys were going to eat as well. 

I assembled my quesadillas on a plate then transferred to a hot skillet. 

Thinly slice the chicken and set aside. Take a tortilla, sprinkle some cheese, spread the 1/3 of the mashed avocado, mushroom, spinach, chicken, put some dollops of sour cream, sprinkle a little cheese and topped with another tortilla. 

Let the quesadilla cook until heated thru. Flip once so both sides are nice and crisp. I cut them in 4 and served hot.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips