Monday, January 20, 2014

Parmesan Breadtwists







   So, I am taking a break on my posts about kids activities because I made these A-MA-ZING parmesan bread twist that I had to share with you. For you, yeast-phobiac friends, I have taken pictures of every step, so if you want to be adventurous and try this recipe I promise you won't regret!


   Now, when we talk about yeast, a lot of people are afraid to even finish reading a recipe, just because they think it's complicated. If you have never, ever used yeast before, I just gotta say that you are missing out some great homemade bread for no reason whatsoever!  Seriously, there is nothing complicated or difficult about yeast. 


   We have two types of yeast: Fresh and Dry. I have used both, but prefer to use the dry one because I always have on hand, simply because it last longer. I personally buy my dry yeast in bulk, at my wholesale store. It comes 2 packs of 1lb each. Yes, I do make a lot of bread at home... Just because it's easy, I know what's in it and fresh baked bread is yummier! 



   Dry yeast comes in two different types: Active Dry Yeast (ADY) and Instant Dry Yeast (IDY), also known as Rapid Rise Yeast or Bread Machine Yeast. The difference between these two is the fact that the ADY you have to dissolve it in warm water before use, meanwhile the IDY is mixed directly to the dry ingredients. I use the IDY because that's what my store carries and also because in my opinion is much easier to use. So, this is how to make using the Instant Dry Yeast.

Parmesan Breadtwists

Recipe adapted from the baker upstairs

1½ cups warm water
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. yeast
3½ cups flour
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter
1 small clove of fresh garlic, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
grated parmesan cheese



In the bowl of a stand mixer add flour, sugar (I used organic sugar and this is why it has this sandy color on the pic), salt and yeast (if you are using Active Dry Yeast follow the baker upstairs method). Make sure when you measure the flour, spoon it over the measuring cup, so you won't have a packed cup of flour, as this may cause the need to add more water and the bread twist to be too doughy. 






Using the paddle attachment mix the flour.






While the mixer is on low, add warm water. Here it's very important the water to be lukewarm. If it's too hot it will kill the yeast, so make sure the water is slightly warm. I've read that 95 F is the best temperature, but I just check the water with my finger.






This is my dough after all the water was in. 






Then I switch with my dough hook and start to knead.






After kneading for about 5 minutes this is what I got, a nice and smooth dough.





I just remove the dough from the hook, cover it and leave it on a warm place. Now, my oven has a proof setting and this is where I leave my dough. If your oven doesn't have it, just try to leave the dough in a warm place.








Meanwhile, melt the butter and add the minced fresh garlic. Here I used a very small clove of garlic because I didn't want to make a garlic bread, but wanted just a little hint of garlic. If you like, you can add as much as you want or even omit the garlic. Totally up to you.


After about 10 minutes this is how my dough looked like.





Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and I use my silpat mat to work with my dough. I love it since I don't have to add any more flour, but if you don't have a silpat, you can just use a floured surface. Cut the dough in half and use one half to roll out into a large rectangle. Brush with the melted garlic butter.







Then sprinkle grated parmesan. 




Fold in half:







Then, using a pizza cutter or a knife cut in about one inch strips.





Twist each strip and place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. While they rest, preheat your oven to 400 F. 





Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. 








Not 100% happy with my bread twists, so with my other half of the dough, I cut thinner, about 1/2 inch strips and since it was too long, I folded in thirds and added 3 times more parmesan cheese than the picture above. And everyone loved this one much better, as they were very cheesy and a slight hint of garlic. All my boys devoured them! To test them out, I sneaked few of them and kept in a ziploc bag in the fridge and next day reheated on my toaster oven and it was as good as yesterday. Just delish!








Now, let me get back to my kitchen and whip up another batch... Meanwhile, if you have any questions or requests, please use the comment box below and feel free to ask!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips